June 9, 2015
Barbara Sherrill, ARPWM President
Mr. Moderator, Members of the Court, and Friends, it is an honor to address this 211th meeting of the General Synod. And, it is my pleasure to speak on behalf of Women’s Ministries of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church (ARPWM).
The Vision of ARP Women’s Ministries is to encourage and equip the community of ARP women to minister together for God’s glory and purpose. It is our desire that all women in the ARP Church know Jesus intimately, love Jesus faithfully, and serve Jesus fruitfully.
Our women have been working to make this vision a reality and many of you, pastors and leaders in the local churches, have supported us in this endeavor. On behalf of ARP Women’s Ministries, I would like to thank you for your continued support.
A full, detailed report about ARP Women’s Ministries and what we have been doing over the past year is included in your packets, so, I would like to take this opportunity to share some things that could be done, and in many local churches already are being done, to encourage and support Women’s Ministries:
- Teach us sound doctrine and equip us for “every good work” (2 Tim. 3:16-17) by continuing to preach God’s Word without compromise.
- Equip and instruct women to teach or facilitate women’s Bible study groups.
- Encourage the women in the local churches to participate in Bible studies, discipleship and mentoring programs, prayer groups and service projects.
- Encourage the women to fulfill the purposes of ARP WM by recording the local church history and by participating in Jubilee Birthday celebrations, prayer emphasis programs, local church and Presbyterial women’s retreats, and other women’s ministries events and activities which encourage, equip and connect them.
- Provide scholarships for women in your local churches to attend the Presbyterial retreats. These retreats are one of the best things to come out of the restructuring of Women’s Ministries, yet some of our women cannot afford to attend. Several of our churches provide scholarships based on individual need, and some pay part or all of the total cost for the women from their churches to attend.
- Pray! Please remember to pray for the women in your churches and also for Women’s Ministries in your Presbyteries and throughout the denomination. Pray that as you teach us, God’s Word will speak to our hearts. Pray that God will guide and direct us as we seek to glorify Him by loving and serving our families, churches, and communities. And, pray that through ARP Women’s Ministries, women will be drawn to Christ and to His Church.